Saturday, September 1, 2007

Week 9 # 22

I think I just don't get it. I don't see a whole lot of value in reading books online, perhaps future readers will find it less uncomfortable with less eye strain/headaches. I can see purchasing ebooks for reference in a library; one of my friends is trying this out right now.

As far as audio books go, I think I'm a snob. I would rather borrow one from the library in person that is professionally read, than have one online read by any number of volunteer readers.

However, some libraries are making audio books downloadable, this is AWESOME!

Here are some libraries that are doing this:

New Hampshire Downloadable Audio Books

Central Connecticut's Library Connection libraries

Oregon Digital Library Consortium

and our own

Califa Digital Library Consortium Northern California Collection

While I don't see my little library being able to afford these, I would certainly like to encourage our county (Solano) to be a part of this program. Our ELL teachers would love to use audiobooks for their English Learners, and I suspect the special education department would take advantage of this also.

No comments: